Are you using only 10 percent of your Brain?

“The average person uses 10 percent of their brain capacity. Imagine what you could do with 100 percent.” Sounds intriguing yet very familiar?3 min

64 shares, 94 points

Your brain is the most complex thing in this universe. It is still a mystery to understand completely, how it actually works. Many believe that a person only ever uses 10 percent of their brain. But is this actually true? Let’s explore whether this statement is a FACT or FACTOID

        Humans uses only 10 percent of their brain capacity.


Along with acting on many mundane tasks, your brain composes concertos, issues pronouncements and thinks of exquisite answers for different equations in real time. Thus it’s no surprise that the functioning of the brain is a mystery. That’s why a lot of brain myths out there, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. One of the most common of these myths is the ten percent use of brain, which is been fueled up by Hollywood movies like Lucy, Limitless, Inception etc.

In this article, we explore how much of the brain a person uses. A person’s brain determines how they experience the world around them. The brain weighs approx. 3 pounds and contains around 100 billion neurons — cells that carry information. Your brain is incredibly hungry and requires a huge amount of energy just to keep running. Your brain comprises of only 2% of the body’s mass but it uses 20% of energy intake.


The myth that humans have access to only 10% of the brain becomes so popular because of the shortcomings of the brain’s mental abilities. Such as failing to understand a complex math problem or forgetting some vital piece of information. Thus people often feel like they have some untapped potential, and what if they could somehow unlock that inaccessible part of their mind.

But question is – where did that number come from? Why exactly 10% added to this legendary myth? Not 5%, 25% or any other percentage value. Read on to know the answers.

A long time ago a study of the brain revealed one very important fact that only 10% of the brain was made up of neurons. While remaining 90% of the cells in the brain were not neurons; which act as connective tissue and given the name as glial cells. It was believed that the neurons were the functional cells of the brain and the glial cells were more or less just support. So by definition, it means you’re using only 10% of your brain because that’s all the neurons comprised in the brain.

neuron vs glial cell in brain

Over the last number of decades what scientist started to find is that there was a misunderstanding about glial cells. These glial cells are a lot more important in neural function than mere physical support. Glial cells can inhibit or activate neurons and actually quite functional.

glial cells of Brain

Professor Wayne Drev explained Glial Cell metaphorically by :

        Glial cells don’t get much attention in neurobiology textbooks because neurons get all the press, even though glial cells are about 10 times more common than neurons, but this would be like on a football team where the quarterback gets all the publicity and the linemen are there and important but don’t get any publicity. Glial cells are like the linemen; they have vital roles in brain function.

It leads to the conclusion that you have access to 100 percent of your brain all the time. Ahh!! What a relief, thanks to the advancement of Science and the hard work of neuroscientists. So the idea that you only use 10 percent of your brains is 100 percent myth. Next time if someone tells you that – we only use 10% of the brain, just politely bombard this knowledge on them because you now know the science behind.

Like it? Share with your friends!

64 shares, 94 points

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like
Cry Cry
Cute Cute
Fail Fail
Geeky Geeky
Lol Lol
Love Love
Scary Scary
Cool Cool

Alter Ego: Mayank Saxena Alias: NEO First appearance: 8th May Skills: Coding, Sketching, Mentalism, Reading and Writing Primary Weapon: Brain Secondary Weapon: Internet Strength: --. . -. .. ..- ... Weaknesses: ... - .. .-.. .-.. . -. -.-. .-. -.-- .--. - . -.. Mission: Exit the Matrix


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Choose A Format
Personality quiz
Series of questions that intends to reveal something about the personality
Trivia quiz
Series of questions with right and wrong answers that intends to check knowledge
Voting to make decisions or determine opinions
Formatted Text with Embeds and Visuals
The Classic Internet Listicles
The Classic Internet Countdowns
Open List
Submit your own item and vote up for the best submission
Ranked List
Upvote or downvote to decide the best list item
Upload your own images to make custom memes
Youtube, Vimeo or Vine Embeds
Soundcloud or Mixcloud Embeds
Photo or GIF
GIF format